Pages

21 December 2003

Roger Ebert's 'Best Films of 2003'


I can't say I agree with the list much at all but here's the link, and here's the list:

  1. Monster (Patty Jenkins)
  2. Lost In Translation (Sofia Coppola)
  3. American Spendor (Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini)
  4. Finding Nemo (Andrew Stanton)
  5. Master and Commander: The Far Side Of the World (Peter Weir)
  6. Mystic River (Clint Eastwood)
  7. Owning Mahoney (Richard Kwietniowski)
  8. The Son (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne)
  9. Whale Rider (Niki Caro)
  10. In America (Jim Sheridan)
I guess my main complaint is that Ebert is telling us that, with a
single token exception, the only movies worth watching are those in
English. I try not to be such a bigot with my personal tastes, but it's
hard to take seriously a film critic who has such a low opinion of
Abbas Kiarostami...

No comments: