Pages

08 March 2006

Notes

Frank Miller's Sin City is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I can't believe I actually forced myself to finish it. I had to watch it in 20-30 minute segments because it was so violent and offensive. However interesting the visuals were, the novelty of the film's 'look' wore off by the end of the first hour. It was also exceedingly misogynistic.

Watching The Umbrellas of Cherbourg on the small screen is no substitute for watching it in a theater, but the magical effect it has is still the same. I didn't remember the ending to have been quite that tragic. It's still, IMO, just about the most charming movie ever made.

I got to watch the Mk2 DVD of Double Life of Veronique last night. I haven't been able to control the grin on my face since. What a masterful, awesome work of cinema.

1 comment:

Paul C. said...

I think I ought to watch SIN CITY again. Perhaps my experience was tainted by the fact that the crowd for it (composed of about fifty theatre employees and their friends) was obviously pumped. I wasn't feeling it the way they were, but by no means did I hate it the way you did. Although in retrospect I like it less and less. However, if Mickey Rourke's performance in this (the film's strongest asset, in my eyes) gets him some real meaty roles, SIN CITY will not have been in vain,